Followers

Monday 29 August 2016

1860s-70s Prague Opera Gown: The Planning Stages

It's official, my parents and I are going to Prague this October for my birthday! I'm going to see my dear friend Rosa and have fun dressed in Lolita and historical styles together with her and her sister. We're going to see a Czech opera called Rusalka, for which I have planned this aqua opera gown ensemble. Hopefully I will finish it in time!

I wanted something late 1860s to early 1870s to match her own sewing agenda, but also because the early bustle era is a new fascination for me, especially since I found this fashion plate on Pinterest. I fell in love with the colours of both of them, especially the aqua gown, which I based my design off. It won't be an exact replica, though I'm hoping it will have the feeling of the original design.


Thus, I have bought some early bustle era patterns from Truly Victorian - 1870s Trained skirt ensemble, a Grand bustle, and an 1860s ballgown bodice that was in fashion until 1873, which is when the fashion plate above is from. 





It's going to have lots of aqua self trim, and perhaps some silk ribbons to decorate - so very ornate, I hope!

It's going to be tough - I may not finish it in time, even though I'm way ahead of schedule - but I will make it wearable, at least... Currently I've already made the corset, which I shall be sharing with you soon, and the chemise.

No comments:

Post a Comment